Haiti is in the midst of an unprecedented wave of military action in the Central African Republic, the United States said Friday, as a military commander and two American citizens were killed in a joint assault on a fortified military outpost.
The Haiti garrison on the northern island of Zaire was under siege by troops loyal to a renegade president, Joseph Kabila, who fled the country last year after years of deadly fighting.
He has since been replaced by a government that has declared a new military “regime of security” and is seeking to expand its territorial control.
The attack in the northern port city of Juba came just days after U.N. peacekeepers arrived in the capital, Bangui, to help bolster efforts to push the rebels from their stronghold in the eastern city of Goma.
The U.K.-backed mission is also to lead a humanitarian mission in the north, where it is working with the Congolese government.
U.M.F. chief of mission, John C. Ruggles, said the U.P.G.G., a United Nations agency that provides training, technical assistance and other support to armed groups, was also in the area.
Ruggles said he was still trying to get a fuller picture of what happened on Friday.
But he said he believes the attacks are likely connected.
He also said the military was not fully in control of the operation.
“I think this attack is likely to continue,” he said.
“I’m not ruling out that some elements of the military are still trying their hand at this.”
In recent days, the U., U.Y.O. and U. N. have stepped up their efforts to combat the war, including the deployment of peacekeepers to the country.
The peacekeepers, who are mostly in civilian clothes, are carrying out air strikes and providing security at key points.